Date:      06 Aug 2002 18:20:16 -0700
From:      Ken McGlothlen <mcglk@artlogix.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I KINDLY NEED YOUR ASSISTANCE

Ganesh Kumar <alganesh@m-net.arbornet.org> writes:

| But the problem is with "communication". When I was taking care of mail
| servers, we got spam(and email bombs too) from a particular webhost. But
| making the admin understand our problem was a pain for me ! (bcos, it
| originated from taiwan )

In most cases, I don't block unless there's a significant problem getting the
offending ISP to take the complaint seriously.  After blocking some fifty or
sixty hosts in South Korea and China, I finally had to get proactive.  It's not
really up to me to convince them that there's a problem; I figure if their
customers can't send mail where they wish, that eventually they'll realize that
*they* have a problem that needs to be addressed.

Nobody likes being on an isolated intranet, and I think that should be the
natural consequence of being an inconsiderate netizen.

| If someone can block the legitimate spams to the list (from freebsd group)
| atleast and prevent mails from that address alone ,would save us :)

Well, I don't think the FreeBSD lists should necessarily be as aggressive about
spam as I've been---but I have to admit that I wouldn't mind.  If I were a
customer of some ISP, and I lost a valuable resource because my ISP was
ineffective at controlling spam from their site, I'd switch ISPs.  Eventually,
the ISP would get the hint.