Date:      Sun, 2 Apr 2000 12:19:12 +0200
From:      "James A Wilde" <james.wilde@telia.com>
To:        "FreeBSD-questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Bad block problem

Well, I got things moving a bit further with a tip from another thread.
Clearly fsck -y does a helluva lot more than it says in the man pages, cos
fsck -y cleaned my root but presumably has left the bad block untouched.
The question remains whether there is some way to mark the block as bad and
then discover what file was using it.

And then I still need this bit if it is possible.

> I hope it doesn't come to a reformat of the disk and reinstall.  If so, is
> there any way I can save some of the stuff on there.  I have ssh, ssh2,
> bind, samba, etc and I'd rather not have to d/l it all again.  I have no
> backup unit on this machine.  I do have a couple of Windows NT machines on
> the network.

I've managed to get smbclient working so I have moved the stuff I want to
save to one of the other machines on the network.  However, I would still
like to know the answer to this:

Can I format one partition only - in this case the root partition - during
installation or does installation completely eradicate everything that was
on the disk before.  I know that, during a Linux installation, one is asked
which partitions should be formatted.

Grateful for suggestions.

mvh/regards

James