Date:      Tue, 13 Apr 2021 15:19:46 +0300
From:      Nyakov Nyakovski <nyakov13@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Arm64 Tier 1 FreeBSD 13 Phones

On Sat, 10 Apr 2021 09:02:48 -0600
Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 2021-04-10 at 04:07 -0400, grarpamp wrote:
> > FreeBSD Phones...
> >
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Librem_5
> > NXP i.MX 8M Quad core Cortex-A53, 64bit ARM
> >
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PinePhone
> > Allwinner A64 ARM Quad core Cortex-A53
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c32-QOrI4cw
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCKMxzz9cjs
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVJo9faE1fM
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV0RnWorPpQ
> >
> > Happy hacking :)
> >

> Dream on.  FreeBSD lacks the power-management infrastructure to run on
> battery-operated devices.  The amount of work required to get there
> from here is almost unimaginable, and there are no big companies
> funding that kind of work (which is how linux got all that code).
>
> -- Ian

> FreeBSD lacks the power-management infrastructure to run on
> battery-operated devices.

It is somehow true.

> The amount of work required to get there from here is almost unimaginable

Well, lack of personal imagination is not really good ground for opinion.
I personally do not see anything to hard or unimaginable in power management.
If drivers bits in place everything else is trivial. And even placing this bits for some specific hardware is not a big problem.

> and there are no big companies funding that kind of work

I do not believe that this is something so complicated that cannot be accomplished without corporate founding.

The real question is motivation for this kind of work.
Guarantee that it will not be in vain at least.

--
Nyakov Nyakovski <Nyakov13@gmail.com>