Date:      Wed, 01 May 2002 02:17:39 -0400
From:      Scott <scottro@nyc.rr.com>
To:        "Brandon Young" <bkyoung@ku.edu>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: spontaneous reboots, processor travelling back in time ...

At 23:38 2002/04/30 -0500, Brandon Young wrote:
>Every time I try to run the command 'XFree86 -configure' my system
>reboots.  I decided to run xf86config; that worked.  Once X was
>configured, I tried to start kdm ... the system reboots every time I try
>to start X.  In searching through the archives, one would be lead to
>believe that there exists a hardware problem.  This is perplexing, since
>this same hardware (whichever piece may be bad) never causes problems in
>other operating systems (namely, Windows and Linux).  My system is a 1.0
>GHz AMD Thunderbird with a Kingston tulip NIC, Matrox G400 single head
>card, and SBLive soundcard.  The processor and mobo are new.

Is it an ASUS MB?  There are still some problems with it, usually with the
symptoms you describe.

Hrrmm--I see that it seems to be resolved as of two days ago--sigh, this
means I'll have to do a buildworld and see if it works without adjustment.
The fix has been to

open up /usr/src/sys/i386/i368/i686_mem.c

Around line 269 you see

u_int           cr4save;

mrd = sc->mr_desc;

Between those two lines, insert a line
return;

So it'll now look like

u_int           cr4save;

return;
mrd = sc->mr_desc;

It has to do with MTRR problems

(This trick was given me by Bill Triplett in case he sees this post and
wonders if I've forgotten--Hi Bill.  :)  )

This of course, assumes you have an ASUS

Then, you have to recompile your kernel

cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
config MYKERN
You will then see the thing something like source is ../../compile/MYKERN
Don't forget to do make depend
So
cd ../../compile/MYKERN
make depend; make; make install
Reboot and you should be good to go.

(You probably know all that, but I have it kept on my hard drive as a web
page so am cutting and pasting--I'm really sleepy--sorry for the extraneous
info)

HTH
Scott