Date:      Mon, 07 Apr 2003 12:11:40 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        "Michael W . Lucas" <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
Cc:        "Gregory A. Gilliss" <ggilliss@netpublishing.com>
Subject:   Re: Look what a mess I made (was Brilliant and very useful...)

"Michael W . Lucas" wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 07, 2003 at 11:08:05AM -0500, Eric Anderson wrote:
> > Now, all I need is to figure out how to tweak sysinstall and add some
> > "newbie" features that "do it all".. maybe a committer that knows the
> > sysinstall gunk will see this..
>
> We're all afraid of sysinstall.  Sysinstall has eaten up any number of
> developers and spit out their steaming bones.
>
> Seriously, patches are welcome.  Please.

Start with the author's "non-negotiable request #6", and realize
that you have to provide "Boot Magic" and "Partition Magic"
functionality, for free, and that even "Boot Magic" can't grok
the NTFS on Windows XP, and you have to add a small (33M) FAT
partition, which you have to tell it is going to be booted from,
and then you still need something that can resize and relocate
an NTFS, like the most recent version of "Partition Magic".

Now realize that this operation can't be scripted, even if you
license these tools themselves, from the vendor.

PS: If people knew enough to be abe to rewrite the NTFS log
files that they could resize an NTFS, without having to license
code from Microsoft, don't you think NTFS would be mountable
R/W in FreeBSD and Linux, without the restriction that you can
only rewrite the contents of files, without resizin them, and
without maintaining POSIX timestamps properly?

-- Terry