Date:      Sat, 19 Dec 1998 16:07:16 +0100 (CET)
From:      Gerhard Sittig <G.Sittig@abo.FreiePresse.DE>
Subject:   Re: updates to i4b

There was a discussion here lately about the first packets being
dropped (or strictly speaking not being answered to correctly)
which seems to apply to this case.  Packets being generated
when the connection is established get all the params right
and cause no trouble.

On Wed, 16 Dec 1998, Nico Bouthoorn wrote:

> DNS?, I've made a setup with my own named server and dns caching,
> if the connection is timed out I've  also to call up the URL twice.

That's when the DNS query is handled locally and the HTTP requests
causes the first packets to go out (and trigger dialing, which
does a renegotiation of the addresses and invalidates the source
address the packet already carries).

> I've a dynamic IP number instead of a fixed one.

That's the prerequisite to these kind of problems :)

> If I use the dns server of the ISP everything works fine
> I want to use this setup for a small office network.

Then the DNS query triggers dialing and experiences the problem.
The HTTP request sees an established connection.  It always turns
out to be the same scenario.  The solution to this is the dynip
patch (available for Linux, at least) which queues the triggering
packets and resends them with the current IP address after IPCP
negotiation took place.

> > I'm connected to my ISP via i4b's ppp.
> > i4b is configured to hang up after a certain idle time.
> >
> > Let's say I browse the web with netscape, often I have to
> > call up URL two times (first time to initiate a new connection,
> > second time to fetch the page) and after some time, I get
> > strange error messages.

Gerhard Sittig