Date:      Sat, 12 Jan 2002 17:31:29 -0800
From:      Gregory Sutter <gsutter@zer0.org>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tcp keepalive and dynamic ipfw rules

--qjNfmADvan18RZcF

On 2002-01-12 11:37 -0700, Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com> wrote:
> > > I have setup a dynamic firewall for my personal computer with such ru=
les
> > >=20
> > > ipfw add check-state
> > > ipfw add deny tcp from any to any established
>=20
> This rule doesn't do a heck of a lot, unless you have by default an
> 'open' setup.

A better idea may be to add the 'log' keyword to this rule, so you can
see if someone is passing packets with fake 'established' flags.  Then,
of course, deny all other unknown packets later.
=20
> # Allow me to make UDP connections
> ipfw add check-state
> ipfw add pass udp from me to any keep-state out

This check-state rule is superflous, since the state will be checked=20
at the keep-state rule if no check-state rule is present.

Does anyone know of a place where one can look at a number of=20
firewall rulesets?  I'm working on improving mine and would like
to see the neat things people have come up with.

Greg
--=20
Gregory S. Sutter                   The process of scientific discovery
mailto:gsutter@zer0.org             is, in effect, a continual flight
http://www.zer0.org/~gsutter/       from wonder.  --Albert Einstein
hkp://wwwkeys.pgp.net/0x845DFEDD

--qjNfmADvan18RZcF