Date:      Tue, 28 Jun 2005 22:04:06 +1000
From:      Norberto Meijome <freebsd@meijome.net>
To:        Jonathan Arnold <jdarnold@buddydog.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Invoking rc.conf changes w/o rebooting

Jonathan Arnold wrote:
> walker, mick wrote:
>
>> Adi Pircalabu <mailto:apircalabu@bitdefender.com> scribbled on 17 June
>> 2005
>> 13:57:

>>> No, there is no need for such an action. A simple entry as the one
>>> listed in pkg-message is enough to set up webmin for starting at boot
>>> time and run time.
>>> Cheers

This is true...though not totally clear. The entry in rc.conf
(webmin_enable="YES") is read by the rc script installed by the package
(in this case webmin) in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/
(/usr/local/etc/rc.d/webmin.sh)

To start the service provided by the package without rebooting , simply
run the script passing the 'start' action ( call it without any params
to get the full list of supported parameters):

/usr/local/etc/rc.d/webmin.sh start

This will check if webmin_enable="YES" is set in /etc/rc.conf and launch
the service. Nice and neat.

>> [Sorry forgot to copy the list in]
>> Thanks I stand corrected.
>>
>> However this did not work for me for some reason, after installing sasl
>> authd, however my previously mentioned method did.
>

> Yes, same here for my webmin.  I added it to the rc.conf and then tried
> to use it and webmin wouldn't work.  I rebooted and all was well. Good test
> for rebooting remotely anway.

On reboot, each .sh in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ with +x will be called with
'start' parameter.

If you have a daemon that doesn't provide this setup, it's quite trivial
to copy an existing one and edit for your use.

Rebooting your whole server to start a service is reminiscent of Win32 ;)

HTH,
Beto