Date:      Tue, 29 Jul 2014 14:02:16 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz_lst@tdx.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 10.0-R connected to Cisco switch (in 'trunk' mode with native VLAN) - doesn't work?

Hi,

I've got a Cisco 3750X switch a colleague is setting up. We've got this
configured - but it doesn't seem to talk nicely to our FBSD 10.0-R box,
looks like some kind of VLAN issue (but shouldn't be).

Switch side - the port is configured with:

 switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
 switchport trunk native vlan 2000
 switchport trunk allowed vlan 2000,2200-2300
 switchport mode trunk

>From what I understand this tells the Cisco to present all the 'allowed'
VLAN's to the port, and that untagged traffic traversing the port should be
sent/received as VLAN 2000?

So, we connect our BSD box and do:

   ifconfig bge0 inet 192.168.100.10 netmask 255.255.255.0

But we can't ping another host connected on the network, on '192.168.100.1'.

The above ifconfig uses no VLAN spec, but that should be covered by the
'trunk native vlan'?

The only way we can fix this - is to take the system 'as-is' and change the
Cisco port to:

   switchport mode access
   switchport access vlan 2000

This sets the port to be 1 VLAN only, and sets that VLAN to VLAN 2000 - so
traffic traversing the port will be untagged, but carried as part of VLAN
2000.

I've been told in theory the bottom config should be the 'same' as the
previous one (i.e. untagged traffic is treated as VLAN 2000).

But with the top config - the BSD box can't connect anywhere, with the
bottom config (with the BSD box setup the same) - it can.

Presuming someone here has used Cisco kit with FreeBSD - can anyone see why
the top config doesn't work? - The guy setting up the switches says he
always uses the top config - and hasn't had an issue with it, but this
obviously doesn't work with our FreeBSD boxes.

I would say we'd try it with a different O/S but at the moment, all the kit
on 'our' side is FreeBSD based...

Cheers,

-Karl