Date:      Sat, 5 Apr 2008 11:18:23 +0200
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        Steel City Phantom <scphantm@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: building a distribution server

--gBBFr7Ir9EOA20Yy

On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 10:23:24PM -0400, Steel City Phantom wrote:
> i have about 10 production servers that i want to upgrade to bsd 7 and
> update all their ports in one shot.  the problem is the down time.  im
> wrapping up upgrading a 6.3 to 7 and its taken over 7 hours so far.  thats
> way too long for our machines to be down.
=20
First you need to rebuild one server, which you already seem to have done.

If your servers all use the same kernel, you can use tar(1) and nc(1) to
copy /usr/src and /usr/obj to all machines, and run 'make
installkernel' and 'make installworld' locally. Wether you can copy /etc
and thus avoid mergemaster depends if you have large local configuration
differences between the servers.=20

If your servers don't use the same kernel, you can copy /usr/src, and
you'll have to rebuild the kernels locally.

Ports is somewhat easier. Build one machine with all the ports you need,
and use tar and nc again to distribute /usr/local, /var/db/ports and
/var/db/pkg to all machines.=20

Roland
--=20

--gBBFr7Ir9EOA20Yy