Date:      Thu, 4 Mar 1999 09:21:25 CET
From:      "Ziga Turk" <ziga.turk@ikpir.fagg.uni-lj.si>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Upgrade, broken pipe, no kernel, no network

I tried to upgrade 2.1.7 something to 2.2.8 over FTP.
I asked for too many sources and documentation and ended up
with a broken pipe and full /usr partition.

Then I guess I maed a few mistakes:
- I rebooted but found that /kernel was not there ... only the
kernel.prev and kernel.GENERIC.
- I booted with kernel.prev, got the # prompt but no network and
stuff so I copied back the /etc and rebooted again
- still no network .. I assume because the kernel is old and all the
binaries are new
- I cannot boot with kernel.GENERIC ... it freezes when probing
hardware (never tried to use it without the old /etc in place).

QUESTION:
How get the machine up and running the network, at least so that
/home can be copied to a safe place.

Thanks!
Dr. Ziga Turk, Assoc.Prof., Univ. of Ljubljana,
Faculty of Civil and Geodetic Engineering,
MAIL: FGG-IKPIR, Jamova 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia;
FAX:+386.61.1250.693, PHONE:+386.61.1768.622,
HTTP://www.fagg.uni-lj.si/~zturk/