Date:      Mon, 01 Mar 1999 20:44:51 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Andrew McNaughton <andrew@squiz.co.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rc5des slows tape thruput

Andrew McNaughton writes:

> Does the tape process get niced also then?

No.

> Is the nice setting reasonable?

Yes.

> If not then why is rc5des allowed to slow it so much?

The picture that I'm getting is a single block is written to the tape
drive at a time. When the tape drive is ready for another block
rc5des's current time slice is not aborted but allowed to complete
before dd gets a time slice to queue another block to the tape.

The drive at home has 1M of internal RAM, the DDS-3 drives at work have
2M buffers. It would appear FreeBSD doesn't make use of these buffers.

> I don't imagine that dd to tape would need that much CPU. I'd expect
> it to bottleneck on IO.  Is it something to do with needing very small
> chunks of CPU t ime and running into lots of small waits for the
> kernel's CPU time allocation?

A couple of percent. Using dd to read /dev/zero and write /dev/null
yields 208M/sec w/o rc5des running, 203M/sec with, writing 100000
blocks of 10k (roughly 1G) so the test runs long enough to be valid.