Date:      Mon, 8 Jan 2018 08:50:39 +0000
From:      Matt Smith <matt.xtaz@gmail.com>
To:        Dave Horsfall <dave@horsfall.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: All those notes...

On Jan 08 14:44, Dave Horsfall wrote:
>Why would /usr/local/etc/apache24/httpd.conf need to be removed if not
>needed?  Surely as I've just upgraded it, I might want it?

The notes are for people installing the port/package for the very first
time or for people removing the package. It's telling you things that
you should do to get it working initially or how to clean up old files
that are no longer used now you've deleted it.

You are only seeing these notes because the act of upgrading them
removes the old package and then installs the new package.

If you have simply upgraded it then you can likely completely ignore all
of these notes and instead you should take note of anything that is
written in /usr/ports/UPDATING which relates to upgrades for your
specific packages.

--
Matt