Date:      Tue, 4 Nov 1997 14:35:58 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Tuna Phish <tunatuna@flash.net>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG

On Mon, Nov 03, 1997 at 07:12:46PM -0800, Tuna Phish wrote:
> hello.  how do i unsubscribe from your list please?  I am starting to get
> slightly annoyed at your messages filling my box every week and taking my
> precious bandwidth, while i wait, excited, thinking that i have an email
> reply from my old friend in Iowa, when no, I come to realize the fact that
> freebsd has a 20k list of ports that i MUST know about.  and THIS TIME, it
> was sent THREE TIMES!

I'm  starting  to get  a bit  annoyed  at people   who didn't save the
instructions  they were asked  to  save when  they  signed up for this
list.  Each of  you got explicit  instructions telling you how to sign
off.  Here's  an  except from  a  message I send to  FreeBSD-questions
every Monday.   It applies equally  well to  all other FreeBSD mailing
lists.  Please read it and do what it says.

Greg

How to get the best results from FreeBSD questions.
you got it in answer to a message you sent, it means that the sender
thinks that at least one of the following things was wrong with your
message:

  (... omitting other sins)
- You sent an 'unsubscribe' message to FreeBSD-questions.

If you have done any of these things, there is a good chance that you
will get more than one copy of this message from different people.
Read on, and your next message will be more successful.

This document is also available on the web at
http://www.lemis.com/questions.html.

II:  How to unsubscribe from FreeBSD-questions
  in the body of your email message:

  Here's the general information for the list you've
  subscribed to, in case you don't already have it:

  FREEBSD-QUESTIONS               User questions
  This is the mailing list for questions about FreeBSD.  You should not
  send "how to" questions to the technical lists unless you consider the
  question to be pretty technical.

Normally, unsubscribing is even simpler than the message suggests: you
don't need to specify your mail ID unless it is different from the one
which you specified when you subscribed.

If Majordomo replies and tells you (incorrectly) that you're not on
the list, this may mean one of two things:

  1.  You have changed your mail ID since you subscribed. That's where
      keeping the original message from majordomo comes in handy. For
      example, the sample message above shows my mail ID as
      grog@lemis.de. Since then, I have changed it to
      grog@lemis.com. If I were to try to remove grog@lemis.com from
      the list, it would fail: I would have to specify the name with
      which I joined.

  2.  You're subscribed to a mailing list which is subscribed to
      FreeBSD-questions. If that's the case, you'll have to figure out
      which one it is and get your name taken off that one. If you're
      not sure which one it might be, check the headers of the
      messages you receive from freebsd-questions: maybe there's a
      clue there.

If you've done all this, and you still can't figure out what's going
on, send a message to Postmaster@FreeBSD.org, and he will sort things
out for you. Don't send a message to FreeBSD-questions: they can't
help you.

III: Should I ask -questions or -hackers?
FreeBSD-questions and FreeBSD-hackers. In some cases, it's not really
clear which group you should ask. The following criteria should help
for 99% of all questions, however:

     If the question is of a general nature, ask
     FreeBSD-questions. Examples might be questions about intstalling
     FreeBSD or the use of a particular UNIX utility.

     If you think the question relates to a bug, but you're not sure,
     or you don't know how to look for it, send the message to
     FreeBSD-questions.

     If the question relates to a bug, and you're sure that it's a bug
     (for example, you can pinpoint the place in the code where it
     happens, and you maybe have a fix), then send the message to
     FreeBSD-hackers.

     If the question relates to enhancements to FreeBSD, and you can
     make suggestions about how to implement them, then send the
     message to FreeBSD-hackers.

There are also a number of other specialized mailing lists, for
example FreeBSD-isp, which caters to the interests of ISPs (Internet
Service Providers) who run FreeBSD. If you happen to be an ISP, this
doesn't mean you should automatically send your questions to
FreeBSD-isp. The criteria above still apply, and it's in your interest
to stick to them, since you're more likely to get good results that
way.