Date:      Wed, 31 Jul 1996 16:50:45 +0200
From:      Patrik Faltstrom <paf@swip.net>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to find the problem with a hanging computer?

I have a Pentium box which I had 2.1.0-RELEASE running on. I
changed the track I was following and started follwing the -STABLE
releases instead.

After installing a new version when 2.1.5-RELEASE was relased I
started getting problem with a kerberoized telnet together with
the XFree86 server (version 2.1.3).

I have seen with sup that I have the latest stable code.
I have recompiled the kerberos package.
I have reinstalled XFree86 version 2.1.3E (I run the S3 server)

When the server is running, the computer completely hangs when
either the kerberos daemon is started, or the telnet client is
opening an encrypted session. I can not even ping the host
anymore.

When the server is not running, it is ok to do encrypted telnets,
and start the kerberos daemon.

Some kerberos commands, such as klist etc are ok to run.

(this is _not_ the same eBone package as is coming with FreeBSD -- but
it is normal userspace processes, so there must be something else lurking)

I was going to try a ktrace on the telnet process, but because the
computer hangs, I do not get any output to the logfile from ktrace.

Any suggestions of what to try are appriciated. Including methods
of getting more information on what actually is forcing the computer
to a complete stop.

   Regards, Patrik