Date:      Fri, 30 Jan 1998 08:26:28 -0600
From:      Nelson <rjn103s@mgr3.k12.mo.us>
To:        Jamie Wilson <jamie@zusammen.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Block site lists?

Thanks for the info!  Every bit helps!  I am not wanting to pay buckets of
money:(

This would be a vaualbe thing for a lot of users if BSD offered this free
somehow.

K12 schools such as ours enjoys BSD and has saved us buckets of $$

Thanks again!!!

At 01:04 PM 1/30/98 +0000, you wrote:
>Nelson wrote:
>>
>> Where would one get a listing of bad sites to block and/or get an updated
>> list for a combination of BSD and Squid for free?
>>
>> I also would like to block chats and web based email/freemail
>>
>> I noticed http://www.smartfilter.com but costs$$
>>
>> Currently blocking problem sites at firewall.
>
>I was sure that NetShepard (http://www.shepard.net) was free, but it
>seems to cost now.
>
>http://web.mit.edu/reagle/www/commerce/singles/rsac7.html has links to
>quite a few places, but I will bet they all cost.
>
>A client of mine uses SurfWatch to (electively) block porn for all users
>- seems to work well, but I bet it cost a bucket of money.
>
>If you just want to block chat and freemail sites, I would imagine by
>lookign at squid stat reports you could quickly identify and block the
>main sites. Ofcourse, with any blocking of this sort of stuff, your job
>will never be done. Or, alternatively, someone elses job will never be
>done (hence the cost for timely updates).
>
>...j

Richard Nelson
TECH Director
Mountain Grove R-III Schools