Date:      Wed, 31 Aug 2005 19:55:01 +0000
From:      "Dark Star" <dead_line@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   server name QDN

Hello everyone,

   Well, Im on FreeBSD 4.8-R Fresh installation, and i have a simple
question
   Lets say I named my box Xname so in rc.conf the hostname ="xname"

   When the machine start, the logs will start to complain /var/log/messages

   xname sm-mta[157]: unable to qualify my own domain name (xname) -- using
short name
   xname sm-msp-queue[167]: My unqualified host name (xname) unknown;
sleeping for retry
   xname sm-msp-queue[167]: unable to qualify my own domain name (xname) --
using short name

   Yes I do have a domain name lets say its Xwhatever.com
   and Yes if i will change the hostname -s to Xwhatever.com it will work
just fine,
   but its not a logic to keep the command line standby as a domain name,

   so where do i tell my box that Xname = Xwhatever.com ?
  I tried to add to /etc/hosts this line
  Xname  <Space>   Xwhatever.com
  localhost <space>  Xname

  but its still the same,