Date:      Fri, 2 Mar 2018 08:40:45 +0200
From:      =?UTF-8?Q?Eddy_Petri=C8=99or?= <eddy.petrisor@gmail.com>
To:        Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Timur Tabi <timur@codeaurora.org>, freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Confused about ARM64 cross-compilation

Pe 9 feb. 2018 2:45 AM, "Ian Lepore" <ian@freebsd.org> a scris:

On Thu, 2018-02-08 at 18:21 -0600, Timur Tabi wrote:
> I've installed FreeBSD 11 on an x86 system, and I followed the
> instructions on https://wiki.freebsd.org/FreeBSD/arm/crossbuild to
> download the source code.  Then I download arm64_build.sh from
> https://wiki.freebsd.org/arm64 and run that.  Now it's building
> something, but I don't know what it's doing.  Shouldn't I need to
> install a cross-compiler first?

Nope, the freebsd build process is completely self-contained.  It
starts by building whatever cross-compiler it needs if crossbuilding is
involved.

Was the cross compiling ever tested from a host that only has gcc? How far
back should I go with the host to lack clang/llvm on the host to make sure
the entire cross build of the toolchain is done from 0?

I'm trying to add cross compilation from linux and I'm running into many
issues related to missing apparently assumed object files on the host, but
the build process doesn't make it clear which is the target for those
object files. Having llvm as a cross compiler by default on the host
doesn't make this distinction easy to figure out.