Date:      Sat, 21 Oct 1995 19:43:28 +0300 (MSK)
From:      =?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= (aka Andrey A. Chernov, Black Mage) <ache@astral.msk.su>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hackers@freefall.freebsd.org, "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <kaleb@x.org>
Subject:   Re: xterm dumps core

In message <22805.814265148@time.cdrom.com> Jordan K. Hubbard writes:

>> Every other FreeBSD upgrade has just worked. 1.0 -> 1.1 -> 1.1.5 ->
>> 2.0 -> 2.0.5.  (well, modulo the flock problems that were acknowledged
>> as a bug).  It is my expectation as a user that the 2.0.5 -> 2.1
>> release will go the same way.

>Sorry, I came into this late.

>Actually, Andrey, a 2.0.5 -> 2.1 upgrade is featured as part of the
>2.1 installation and it does indeed assume that backwards
>compatibility will be maintained.  I have always treated 2.0.5 as a
>full release and I don't know where you get the idea that it can
>somehow fall outside the "prior release" criteria.  Warner is
>perfectly correct: 2.0.5 was a full release.  Period.

Sigh... I plan to make locale aliasing (the same as X locale.alias does)
in more comfortable 2.2 schedule...

2.0.5 8859-1 ctype is wrong in several places (fixed now in
-current but I don't see this fix passed to 2.1 as I ask!), I doubt
that anybody even could use 2.0.5 8859-1 locale efficiently, as
its developer I can say that it was added per experimental basis,
so I don't expect backward capability to it will even been demanded.

Moreover, all 8859-1 links in share/locale are invalid, because
fr_FR/LC_TIME != de_DE/LC_TIME f.e.

Now I change my mind a bit because parsing locale.alias takes
a lot time comparing to filesystem links following, parsing degradates
program startup speed. Jordan, expect current links removing and
creating a lot more newest ones (they will solve backward capability too).

--
Andrey A. Chernov        : And I rest so composedly,  /Now, in my bed,
ache@astral.msk.su       : That any beholder  /Might fancy me dead -