Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 2002 09:48:55 -0700
From:      Lee_Shackelford@dot.ca.gov
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Linux emulation

Greetings readers of this newsgroup.  I am a very newbie BSD user.  My
computer has an Intel processor.  I have a question concerning Linux
emulation.  I understand from the book by Ms. Annelise Anderson that, in
order to run a Linux program under BSD, the user must first install an
emulation program that is 60 megabytes in size.  I had thought that all
Unix variants worked similarly.  I am puzzled as to just why the 60
megabyte program is necessary, and wonder just what it is that it does.
There are several complete operating systems that are less than 60
megabytes in size (i.e. MS-DOS, Minix).  I realize that this question may
have been asked many times before.  If it has, could you just refer to me
to the correct location to find the answer.  Especial thanks to the several
readers of this newsgroup who responded very promptly to my previous
question.