Date:      Sat, 5 Sep 1998 01:46:58 +0200
From:      Philippe Regnauld <regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: 3.0 enters BETA status in 12 days!

Chuck Robey writes:

> Hey Jordan, have you given any consideration to how you're going to
> handle the softupdates thing for the 3.0 GENERIC kernel?  I'm not
> certain you even _can_ stick it in, but I'm curious if softupdates will
> be one of the headlines with this new release.

	Softupdates will certainly not be included in the GENERIC kernel.

	The files might be included in the contrib directory, as they have
	been for now, but they have to be explicitly copied / linked into
	the right place, and "option SOFTUPDATES" added to the kernel by hand.
	(cf. Kirk McKusick's license).

	Moreover, softupdates are still a bit soft on the edges :-),
	particularly with SMP.  I would say "experimental", until further
	tested.

--
 -[ Philippe Regnauld / sysadmin / regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk / +55.4N +11.3E ]-

               The Internet is busy.  Please try again later.