Date:      Sun, 15 Apr 2001 15:37:34 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "Doug Wilson" <want_2_learn_freebsd@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: please help with pcmcia nic...

> From: "Doug Wilson" <want_2_learn_freebsd@hotmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 15:23:03 -0700
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> Hi list.
>
> I have a laptop running FreeBSD 4.2 Release.  It has a 3Com Megahertz Model
> 3CCFE575BT 10/100 Base-TX PCMCIA which I bought a few weeks ago.
>
> Windows of course sees the card, and I'm online there.  Redhat, and Debian
> brands of Linux see the nic.  But FreeBSD doesn't not!
>
> I am totally lost!!!
>
> I did try to add to the kernel:
>
> zp    #3com PCMCIA Etherlink III (I got this from "The Complete FreeBSD").
>
> But conf said that zp was invalid.
>
> I have searched long and hard for support--I have also searched for any info
> about another pcmcia nic card that FreeBSD supports, but nothing--just that
> obscure reference in that book that was invalid.  (I can return the 3Com,
> but for what? Another pcmcia card that is not supported?)
>
> Does anyone got any ideas?  I'd really like to get it working.

Scanning /etc/defaults/pccard.conf I can find no reference to the
3CCFE575BT. I find many similar 3Com card, though, and most use the ep
device.

Do you get any message when you plug in the card? Do you have
pccard_enable="YES" in your /etc/rc.conf?

If so, try "pccardc dumpcis 0" if you have the card plugged into slot
0. "pccardc dumpcis 1" if it' in slot 1. If you get a dump, send it o
the list. Finally, the real expertise on laptops is at
freebsd-mobile. If you can't get  good answer from freebsd-questions,
try there.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)