Date:      Sat, 21 Sep 96 16:42:21 -0700
From:      Randall Raemon <delta1@netcom.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   configuring dual scsi boards

I've got an experimental configuration I'm working with, and running
into some difficulty I can't get isolated.

What I'm trying to do, is to install a second AHA1542CP into an
existing system. There is already an AHA1542CP working in the machine
with no problems.

This is a freshly installed 2.1.5 system, off the Walnut Creek CD.
The machine is quite vanilla: 386DX-40Mhz, 16meg, 1 3.5 floppy, NE2000
NIC, serial IO card, generic VGA card, and the adaptec cards.

I've done a series of kernel builds, and flipping the various switches
on the new board, with no discernable results. In all cases, devices
attached to the second adapter are not recognized. The boot probe
message is

	"(aha1:0:0): timed out"
	"(aha1:0:0): timed out AGAIN"

This continues for all devices (1-7) on the second controller, and takes
about 10+ minutes. Tedious... It will eventually get thru all the
devices, and then proceed to boot normally.

The kernel config parameters I've got set are:

   # adaptec 1542cp  mostly out of the box configuration,
   # plug-and-play disabled, floppy controller enabled
   # bios enabled, this is the boot controller

   controller aha0 at isa? port 0x330 bio irq 11 drq 5 vector ahaintr
   controller scbus0 at aha0
   device sd0 at scbus0 target 0
   device st0 at scbus0 target 3

   # new controller, adaptec 1542cp
   # plug-and-play disabled, floppy disabled
   # bios disabled (doesn't make any difference... I've tried)
   # irq and drq are changed from defaults to avoid conflicts
   # also tried "aha0" rather than "aha1" - no effect... except to
   # note that boot probe message is aha1, while userconfig lists
   # it as aha0, have to use "visual" to disable selectively

   controller aha1 at isa? port 0x334 bio irq 10 drq 6 vector ahaintr
   controller scbus1 at aha1
   device sd0 at scbus1 target 0
   device cd0 at scbus1 target 3

config and kernel build proceed normally, no warning messages of any
kind.

Anybody have any suggestions on what I'm not seeing...

--
Randall Raemon
delta1@netcom.com