Date:      Fri, 4 Aug 2000 07:50:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/20400: Building a kernel with debugging info section could use a rework

The following reply was made to PR docs/20400; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To: jefblaine@mediaone.net
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 16:46:27 +0200

 On Fri, 04 Aug 2000 07:20:57 MST, jefblaine@mediaone.net wrote:

 > What I have issue with is the casual (and not formal step-by-step)
 > nature of the first half of that subsection.  The part where it
 > shows how to fire up gdb -k (and from then on) is done in this
 > fashion, but the first half of the subsection is not.

 While I understand that your PR docs/20398 probably requires a patch
 thta you may not feel confident about producing yourself, this looks
 like a case of someone needing to produce better text for whole
 paragraphs in toto.

 That's something you could probably do yourself, especially since you're
 probably the person closest to the problem right now. :-)

 Care to try your hand at contributing some text? :-)

 > Also, what's all this about 'kgdb' (in terminal type font as if it
 > is a command to type)?  If the command is 'gdb -k' nowadays, and has
 > been for some time, why give it this secret codeword?

 Things have changed and the documentation doesn't just "catch up" --
 someone edits it. :-)

 If you'd like to help, all you'll need to is to spend some time getting
 to know the SGML flavour the -doc guys use for the handbook.  It sounds
 to me like you have some valuable contributions just aching to come out.
 :-)

 Wanna take a look at the documentation project?

 	http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/docproj.html

 Ciao,
 Sheldon.