Date:      Wed, 17 May 1995 11:24:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mark Hittinger <bugs@ns1.win.net>
To:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   -cur boot hangs since may 1

Hi

My plate was emptier than usual today and I had a chance to do a little DDB'n.
Here is the scoop:  If you have a 3com etherlink-III card (ep0) and you try to
boot a generic style kernel it hangs in various places during the boot.  This,
of course, sends one on various wild goose chases.  I've seen this problem
since May 1 but really haven't had time to roll up my sleeves and chase it
till now.

If you disable ie0 during a '-c' boot dialog (or build a kernel without ie0)
then things work great.

All my boxes have ep0 cards so I have been an unhappy boy for many days.

I am looking at the probe technique in the ie0 driver to see what has
been changed.  It may be confusing the 3c509 card.

Regards,

Mark Hittinger
bugs@win.net