Date:      Thu, 14 Jan 1999 01:02:50 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alan Bawden <Alan@LCS.MIT.EDU>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: messing with /etc/rc.conf

   Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 04:17:54 +0000
   From: Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
   Cc: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG

   Alan Bawden wrote:

   >    > something will occasionally re-write this to read:
   >    >
   >    >   ntpdate_flags="-bs $(awk '$1 == "

   ...  I'm not aware of any other program which parses it. ...

OK, so I've now established that the first guy to try answering my question
didn't actually know that something other than `sh' occasionally reads and
re-writes the contents of /etc/rc.conf.

So perhaps someone -else- would care to answer my question?

To review: I recently noticed that the line in my rc.conf file that used to
read:

  ntpdate_flags="-bs $(/usr/bin/awk '$1 == "server" || $1 == "peer" {print $2}' /etc/ntp.conf)"

had been altered to read:

  ntpdate_flags="-bs $(/usr/bin/awk '$1 == "

This led me to take the admonition at the front of the rc.conf file ("All
arguments must be in double or single quotes") more seriously than I had
previously.  I started to wonder just what were the intended rules for what
could, and could not safely be written in this file.  For example, were
lines like:

  foo="baz ${mumble} bar"

safe?

If I moved my definition of ntpdate_flags into rc.conf.local, would it be
safe there?

If I knew what tools it were that messed with rc.conf, perhaps I could
protect myself.

Somebody?