Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 1996 09:41:37 +0900 (JST)
From:      Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        eric@ms.uky.edu, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   vclean (was The VIVA file system)

On Mon, 26 Aug 1996, Terry Lambert wrote:

> The address space compression is interesting for vnode-based buffering;
> FreeBSD currently uses this method, but... well, I've railed often
> enough against vclean that I think everyone knows how I feel.

Some subsystems now depend on the ability to disassociate buffers from
vnodes.  For example, kill the session leader and the session terminal is
revoked from all children and the deadfs is associated with the vnode.
The only call that doesn't return an error is close() and the children
eventually exit.

I think what needs to be looked at is having more synchronized buffer
cache/vnode recycling policies.

Regards,

Mike Hancock