Date:      Thu, 16 Sep 1999 09:21:11 +1000 (EST)
From:      Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>
To:        brett@lariat.org (Brett Glass)
Cc:        Harry_M_Leitzell@cmu.edu, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BPF on in 3.3-RC GENERIC kernel

In some mail from Brett Glass, sie said:

> Maybe it's a religious issue, or maybe some utility depends on it.

It's called "tcpdump" and it ships with FreeBSD, by default.

> But it might not be a good idea to let it be on from the get-go.
> If the machine is rooted, you've got an instant packet sniffer.

If the machine is rooted, you're fucked anyway, unless it's so wired
down with things using file flags that you can't even use vi any more.

> I plan to turn it off on EVERY install, and I sure wish it
> were that way to start.

Good for you.  At least those of us who use it don't have to turn
it on for EVERY install now :-)

Darren