Date:      Sat, 24 Apr 1999 15:59:25 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
To:        Adrian Filipi-Martin <adrian@ubergeeks.com>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>, Daniel Hagan <dhagan@cs.vt.edu>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD offerings by Gateway 2000

On Sat, 24 Apr 1999, Adrian Filipi-Martin wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Apr 1999, Nik Clayton wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Apr 23, 1999 at 02:13:11AM -0400, Adrian Filipi-Martin wrote:
> > > 	FYI, about 5 feet from where I'm typing this, is a genuine
> > > 	Gateway 486/66E that was subsequently upgraded to a 100MHz
> > > 	processor.  This box has been a dedicated FreeBSD box for
> > > 	most of the 7 years since I bought it from Gateway.  Even
> > > 	at such a tremendous age in high-tech years, it still makes
> > > 	a great ISDN router, mailserver, webserver, ftpserver, NFS
> > > 	fileserver, IMAP and a few other services.  You could say
> > > 	I'm a satisfied customer who is   interested in new the
> > > 	options.  A new mid range server would be a nice  replacement
> > > 	for this old box.  Then again, if it ain't broke, why mess
> > > 	with it.
> >
> > Just to play Daemon's Advocate for a second -- is this a good thing to
> > point out?  Is the hardware vendor not going to think "Er, hang on,
> > they're not going to want to upgrade their kit every year from me if
> > I support this OS.  But if I support Win* then they're going to be
> > upgrading every year. . ."?
>
> 	Hey, aren't we all daemon's advocates?... I guess you're the
> Devil's advocate as well. ;-)
>
> 	You view is one take on it.  My point was more that I bought a
> quality system and it's lasted.  I'm happy with the reliability.  This was
> before the margins got so low that it became hard to predict what came in
> your box.
>
> 	The reason the above system is in the corner is because I'm sitting
> in front of a dual P-II 450 with 256MB.  If Gateway sold preconfigured
> boxes like this with FreeBSD installled, I would consider them.  I am
> particularly interested in having name-brand boxes with support that I can
> drop off with consulting clients, and I told them this.
>
> 	Note, that I did mention that I upgraded the processor.  I didn't
> mention that I upgraded the audio, it had none, the RAM, serial I/O
> chipsets, the disk and added second AHA-1742 over the years.  I didn't want
> to get into cataloging.
>
> 	In any event in the paragraphs I did not forward to the list I made
> it clear that I was interested in what their products in a business context
> and not my personal office.

Perhaps as a footnote to messages like this you'd append some sort of
statement:

"Because of the reliability and execellent compatibility of your hardware
i've been happy to recommend it to friends and people i consult for all
their PC hardware needs."

It's the truth ain't it?  I recommend Dell and Gateway hardware to friends
and people i consult for all the time.

:)

-Alfred