Date:      Thu, 8 May 2008 08:19:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Randy Schultz <schulra@earlham.edu>
To:        Fabian Wenk <fabian@wenks.ch>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: amd64/123495: 7.0 AMD64 doesn't install on a Dell SC1435

On Wed, 7 May 2008, Fabian Wenk spaketh thusly:

-}Hello Randy
-}
-}On 07.05.08 18:21, Randy Schultz wrote:
-}> FBSD 6.x AMD64 works great on this system, as does centos linux.
-}> When I try to install 7.0 (AMD64 of course), on boot (off the
-}> cdrom) I notice:
-}>    ad4: DMA limited to UDMA33, device found non-ATA66 cable
-}>
-}> Not sure if that is an important clue but it seems to be.  I
-}> know my cables are SATA-II, FWIW.
-}
-}Somewhere in the BIOS settings should be an option to switch the SATA disks to
-}AHCI, maybe this helps.
-}
-}On most BIOS this setting is in the P-ATA mode, which is a slower
-}compatibility mode and is needed for the Redmond OS to work.

Hey Fabian,

Tnx for the tip.  Unfortunately there is no such setting on this system.  My
choices are "OFF" or "AUTO".  In auto mode they appear to be correctly
identified, giving the make and model #.

--
 Randy    (schulra@earlham.edu)      765.983.1283         <*>

Love with your heart, think with your head;  not the other way around.