Date:      Mon, 9 Nov 1998 10:55:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: linux software installation and uname

According to Jordan K. Hubbard:
> > Actually, you didn't.  Stick a uname in the appropriate /compat/linux
> > directory and it will be called (and return Linux) which doesn't bloat
> > FreeBSD's code with Linux-centric bits.
>
> Ah, that's another good point. :-)

The install script on the cdrom had hardcoded tests for
/usr/bin/uname and /bin/uname.

If we every get to the emulation of Digital Unix and Solaris
where we have /compat/linux, /compat/digital, /compat/solaris,
etc., then we need several versions of uname.  Now, we're talking
about bloat.

--
Steve

finger kargl@troutmask.apl.washington.edu