Date:      Mon, 9 Jul 2001 00:58:08 +0900
From:      "Eugene M. Kim" <ab@astralblue.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ftpd weirdness; CWD/RETR/... handles {} specially?

On Sun, Jul 08, 2001 at 05:33:23PM +0200, Oliver Fromme wrote:
> Eugene M. Kim <ab@astralblue.net> wrote:
>  > It depends on the case; in my situation, I'm mirroring quite a large
>  > collection of files whose names are just wild, i.e. all sorts of special
>  > characters embedded, some of them being shell metacharacters.
>
> Note that shell globbing is only performed on LIST.
> I just tried -- CWD and RETR don't expand them.

They do.  Please see the transcript, taken on a recent 4-stable machine,
at the end of this message.

> If mirror has a problem mirroring such files with meta-
> characters, then mirror has a bug.  It works fine using
> omi (ports/ftp/omi).

Mirror is what I first suspected too, so I examined it; it is fine.

> PS:  Please DO NOT continue to ignore my Reply-To headers.
> Send to the list, not to myself.  Thanks.

Okay.  Sorry.

Eugene

------------------------------- cut here -------------------------------
the-7 00:48:46 hanirc $ 50 ftp -d 127.0.0.1
Connected to 127.0.0.1.
220 the-7.net FTP server (Version 6.00LS) ready.
Name (127.0.0.1:ab): test
---> USER test
331 Password required for test.
Password:
---> PASS XXXX
230 User test logged in.
---> SYST
215 UNIX Type: L8 Version: BSD-199506
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> cd /roo?
---> CWD /roo?
250 CWD command successful.
ftp> pwd
---> PWD
257 "/root" is current directory.
ftp> dir ?
---> PORT 127,0,0,1,193,69
200 PORT command successful.
---> LIST ?
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for '/bin/ls'.
-rwxr-xr-x  1 ab  user  497 Dec 20  2000 p
226 Transfer complete.
ftp> get ?
---> TYPE I
200 Type set to I.
---> SIZE ?
213 497
---> PORT 127,0,0,1,193,70
200 PORT command successful.
---> RETR ?
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for 'p' (497 bytes).
226 Transfer complete.
497 bytes received in 0.00 seconds (1.66 MB/s)
---> MDTM ?
213 20001219211442
ftp>