Date:      Sat, 08 Nov 1997 17:47:39 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <axl@iafrica.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   syslogd doesn't read syslog.conf on HUP

Hi folks,

I was lead to believe that syslogd would reconfigure itself on receipt
of a HUP signal (1). I thought this included rereading the syslog.conf
file. Here's the part of the syslogd(8) manpage that led me to believe
this:

     Syslogd reads its configuration file when it starts up and whenever
     it receives a hangup signal.  For information on the format of the
     configu- ration file, see syslog.conf(5).

I've tested this on my FreeBSD 2.2-STABLE (5 Nov 1997) box as well as my
FreeBSD 2.2.2-RELEASE box and on both machines it appears that syslogd
does _not_ reread syslog.conf on receipt of a HUP. The process must be
killed and restarted.

Is the manpage out of date, or is syslogd not doing its job?

Sheldon.