Date:      Wed, 24 Dec 2003 10:36:25 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        hymette@wanadoo.fr
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problem with ld-elf.so.1

On Wednesday 24 December 2003 06:31 am, hymette@wanadoo.fr wrote:
> I've done what you said and could rebuild some packages including
> gettext and pkgconfig but the previous error message remains for
> applications running ld-elf. For example gkrellm - which I could
> rebuild easily - still aborts at runtime with "ld-elf.so.1 : Shared
> object libintl.so.4 not found". There is no way to install gkrellm2
> (because of pango complaining "ld-elf.so.1 :
> /usr/X11R6/lib/libfontconfig.so.1: Undefined symbol
> "FT_Get_BDF_Property""). Mozilla does not work nor build anew either.
> Mozilla-devel aborts during configure warning it does not find
> libraries and asking to setenv PKG_CONFIG_PATH, which does not help.
>
> The other applications seem to work well.
> I think also that I made errors with pkgdb -F .
>

> Is there a way to fix this ?
>
> Do you think that a portupgrade of all packages could help ?
> How would I recover the correct dependency lists if I corrupted them
> with pkgdb -F?

You are in a situation I have never faced. I have done a
portupgrade -pufa
before. I have also seen people use something like -rRa. What will work
depends on what you have installed, what you have messed up using pkgdb -F,
and what you will put up with while it is upgrading. On my AMD 2400+ XP, a
full upgrade of my ports takes a long time.

When the default went to XFree86-4, I deleted all of the packages and did meta
port builds and installs of XFree86 and KDE. The build machine spent most of
the whole day doing this. Topaz, which is the machine I am typing this on,
wasn't affected until ruby finished building everything. I ftped all of the
packages from /usr/ports/packages/All, deleted what I had installed on topaz,
and did meta-port pkg_add from the ../All directory on topaz. Topaz wasn't
down very long.

FWIW, I don't believe in building cvsup. It is one port that I use the
package. The modula library requires too much computer time to build and
isn't needed by any other port.

> In the worse case how could I get rid of all my ports and pkgs and
> rebuild them from scratch without messing the system ?

You never want to mix the two. If something goes wrong, you don't have any
idea what broke it. Did you upgrade to 4.9-release?

If you have finished upgrading to 4.9, I don't think it is part of the problem
right now. You just have to catch your ports up to what is current and a full
portupgrade might work. I think I would include the "f" option to force the
builds.

Your ports include libraries from the system and you want to upgrade these to
4.9 anyway and a full upgrade would do that. You may just have to build a few
manually. I always use "portupgrade -puf port" because I will use the package
on my other systems.

If your port structure is equivalent to 4.9-release, you could update much
faster using ftp to grab packages from freebsd.org. It all depends on your
network connection speed. The last time I looked at packages/All on my
freebsd.org mirror, they were all dated 11 November. Man portupgrade talks
about using "portupgrade -aPPR" to do a massive network binary upgrade. You
need some feedback from someone who has done this. I run 4.9-stable and it
can never find a package for -stable and fetches the distfiles and builds the
port.

What ever you do, upgrade portupgrade and its dependancies first. The current
version will fix most bad situations that you would have had to delete
packages and re-add them before. You may still have to do that because you
have a corrupted setup.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart