Date:      Wed, 28 May 2014 22:45:39 -0700
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
Cc:        Anuranjan Shukla <anshukla@juniper.net>, Gleb Smirnoff <glebius@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org Arch" <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Roadmap for ifnet(9) for FreeBSD 11

Hi!

On 28 May 2014 09:34, Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net> wrote:
> All,

> Since Juniper already has a working patch that achieves the
> objective of making ifnet an opaque type by replacing ifnet
> pointer dereferences with function calls in an almost mechanical
> fashion, we propose to merge that first.
> The patch doesn't break old-style access to struct ifnet, which
> means that unconverted and converted drivers coexist. This gives
> us time to convert drivers. This also gives Juniper an important
> rendezvous point between their and our repos.

Hi!

Converting all the ifnet dereferencing and converting it to accessor
functions/macros seems like a no-brainer pass. You can do this without
necessarily converting them to void *. That can be a separate pass.

i wonder about the immediate benefits of making it fully opaque versus
"mostly opaque-ready for you." Would we get less formalish checking
coverage with static analysis tools and the compiler?

-a