Date:      Mon, 29 Nov 1999 14:24:35 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        Dean Hollister <dean@odyssey.apana.org.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 3.x problems

On Mon, 29 Nov 1999 20:15:36 +0800, Dean Hollister wrote:

> I tried firstly via cvsup/make upgrade, then a fresh install...

Um... So you first upgraded from source and then from CDROM?  The CDROM
installation would have taken care of updating /etc for you but the
source upgrade would not have.

> Also, I noticed the 3.3 CD would not boot, whereas the 3.1 & 3.2 CD's do.
> Could this just be a faulty CD?

I believe a batch of CD's went out which wouldn't boot on ATAPI CDROM
drives.  The release notes for 3.3-RELEASE discuss this at:

	http://www.freebsd.org/releases/3.3R/errata.html

I note that you didn't send any more detailed error messages.  I know
that your one problem (the compat22 distribution issue) may well have
caused other problems, which is why I asked for more context for the
error messages.

Obviously, if that one issue solved your other problems, then there's
nothing more to discuss.  So are you up and running? :-)

Ciao,
Sheldon.