Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 2006 15:58:24 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Michael L. Squires" <mikes@siralan.org>
To:        Felix 'buebo' Kakrow <buebo@buebo.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: State of gvinum RAID-5

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006, Felix 'buebo' Kakrow wrote:

> Hello List,
> I tried gvinum RAID-5 with a 5-Stable around the time when 5.1 or 5.2
> was released (afair) and back then it basically sucked big time. Raid
> worked as long as nothing failed, but reconstructing a drive was
> somewhere between very painful and not possible.
>
> Now I will have to upgrade hardware soon, which means I could switch
> from NetBSD (and Raidframe) to FreeBSD (with gvinum) again. I would
> like to because NetBSD seems to have some kind of memory leak in
> connection with Samba and large or many files, but I'd rather have a
> somewhat unstable Samba than an unstable Raid, so what's the state of
> affairs?
>
> Cheers
> Felix

I'm about to try; I have my home server stuck at 4.11 because I could
never get gvinum to work reliably with 5.x, and the drives I had wouldn't
work with two different hardware RAID controllers (ex EMC ST446xxx's,
a DPT/Adaptec controller and a LSI controller - apparently only certain
EMC BIOS versions will work, and I don't have them).

I did find a posting by someone who installed gvinum/RAID5 recently (under
6.X) but there was nothing about stability.

Mike Squires
UNIX(tm) at home
since 1986