Date:      Fri, 20 Aug 1999 10:00:00 -0500
From:      "David B. Aas" <dave@ciminot.com>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   "Sender domain must exist" error

I am getting an error message from POP3 clients when emial is sent. Email is
received OK, but I cannont send.

I am running Sendmail on FreeBSD 3.2. Sendmail is set up, and POP3 is
enabled. My users have valid Unix usernames and passwords. My server name is
gateway.townandcountry.org and my domain name is townandcountry.org.

My users can connect and receive email. When email is sent, they get an
error message on the POP3 client something like this:

"The message could not be send because the server rejected the sender's
email address. The sender's email address was ....Server Response "501
gateway.townandcountry.org ... sender domain must exist"

On the server console, an error message shows up "Sendmail ...
ruleset=check_mail ...Reject=501 gateway.townandcountry.org sender domain
must exist."

I double-checked my sendmail.cf file. I have set up a D and a DM record. DNS
is running and appears to be working OK.

What am I missing? any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Dave Aas
Dave@ciminot.com