Date:      Thu, 2 Dec 1999 11:48:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        Phil Homewood <philh@mincom.com>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: root shell/toor shell

On Thu, 2 Dec 1999, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:

> So toor and root can have different shells?  I tried it and couldn't seem
> to get it to work.  Everytime i changed one shell, it seemed the other
> shell changed as well.

They ship with different shells, toor with sh and root with csh.
You are probably using su -m (or have su aliased to su -m) in your
shell initialization file, which keeps the environment of the user
when you su.  Thus, the shell does not change.  This is why it
really isn't so important to change root's shell, and this is
why you're not seeing any change.

Try typing at the prompt
login
And log in as root or toor.  Then you will get their shells and
the files in /root will be read (path and so forth).  The default
root and toor shells, sh and csh, are the shells available to you
when you boot -s or get thrown into single user mode on boot,
with whatever initialization files exist in root's home directory.

The greatest problem with changing root's shell is not that sh
is unavailable when booting into single user mode (unless you
link sh to another shell or replace it, which is a very bad thing
to do), but that people put incorrect path names in /etc/shells
and in the password file, or misspell stuff.  This is really an
area in which to take some care.

Annelise