Date:      Wed, 21 Jan 2009 14:11:51 +0100
From:      votdev@gmx.de
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Cannot resolve hostname; DNS problem when using DHCP

Hello,

i have a strange DNS problem. If i use DHCP i'm not able to ping myself using the hostname (and hostname+domain). The strange thing is that i can't reproduce this on my 'real' system (with Fritzbox router) but in a VM (VMWare Player). Also some FreeNAS users have the same problem with 'real' hardware, too.
I can ping the VM from the host system without problems using the VM hostname 'freenasl.local', so there is no problem with the internal VMWare DNS server.

Below i've listed everything i think it's necessary to find out what's wrong.

Can anyone give me some hints or tipps? Maybe i'm totally blind.

Regards
Volker

freenas:~# hostname
freenas.local

freenas:~# cat /etc/resolv.conf
search localdomain
nameserver 172.16.194.2

freenas:~# cat /etc/hosts
::1 localhost localhost.local
127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.local

freenas:~# netstat -r
Routing tables
Internet:
Destination        Gateway            Flags    Refs      Use  Netif Expire
default            172.16.194.2       UGS         0        0    em0
localhost          localhost          UH          0       10    lo0

freenas:~# cat /etc/hosts.allow
ALL : ALL : allow

freenas:~# cat /etc/nsswitch.conf
group: compat
group_compat: nis
hosts: files dns
networks: files
passwd: compat
passwd_compat: nis
shells: files
services: compat
services_compat: nis
protocols: files
rpc: files

freenas:~# ping freenas
ping: cannot resolve freenas: Host name lookup failure

freenas:~# ping freenas.local
ping: cannot resolve freenas.local: Unknown host