Date:      Wed, 10 May 2000 18:24:00 -0600
From:      "Duke Normandin" <dnormandin@freewwweb.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   /etc/remote && modem check

I'm doing some pre-PPP config homework ;^)

A week or so ago, I copied the meat of a post to this list into my local
"knowledge-base" -- but I hosed the post, so I don't know who wrote it.

[quote]
It looks to me like you need to take a problem isolation approach to solving
this.  First be sure that your system can talk to the modem.
Add a line like the following to /etc/remote;

    cuaa1c|cua1c:dv=/dev/cuaa1:br#9600:pa=none:

then use tip to see if it works you can drive the session manually:

    $tip cuaa1c
    at
    OK
    atdt555555
    CONNECT 2400
    ~.

If you get this far then you can start working with the ppp program.  Work
through the examples in the GETTING STARTED section of the ppp manual page
to get ppp to work manually.

Once that is working you will have a good idea what changes are necessary
to your configuration detail.
[unquote]

Point: I did exactly as suggested above, i.e. :

root@root# tip cuaa1c
root@root# unknown host

I doubled checked /etc/remote 10 times and nothing changed ;^) -- no typos;
everything as suggested above. What did I miss or not seeing? Do I have to
tweak /etc/host? Tia....

-duke