Date:      Sun, 11 Oct 1998 18:25:04 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, mark@grondar.za
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, garbanzo@hooked.net, perlsta@fs3.ny.genx.net
Subject:   Re: /usr/include/sys/cam/scsi...

>> >cd /usr/include; find . -type f -ctime +N -delete
>> >
>> >Where N (in days) is chosen to be a bit longer than the number of days
>> >between now and your last "make world".
>>
>> Don't do that.  Includes are installed by `install -C', so most of them
>> should be very old.
>
>Huh!!?? Why does it work, then?

Oops.  It does work.  `install -C' should attempt to avoid modifying
ctimes, since incremental backups should be based on ctimes, so modifying
ctimes mainly bloats such backups.  I forgot that it doesn't actually
avoid modifying them.  It always does the following operations on the
target file: fchown(), fchmod(), fchflags(); and at least some of these
are required to clobber the ctime even when nothing has changed.

Bruce