Date:      Tue, 15 Apr 2003 15:03:09 -0400
From:      "John Straiton" <jsmailing@clickcom.com>
To:        "'William Ashworth'" <willybaby12345@yahoo.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, <dinotose@yahoo.com>
Subject:   RE: How to turn on telnet on server.

William,
I believe that would be ESC :q! if you wanted to NOT save your changes,
or ESC :w :q if you did want to save them and quit.

Typing "inetd" will not restart inetd it will spawn an additional copy
(as seen by doing a "ps auxwm | grep inetd", "killall -HUP inetd" will
restart the daemon.

Dino,
William is correct on uncommenting the #telnet line of inetd.conf, as he
is on recommending ssh instead of telnet. Ssh is enabled by default and
acts just like telnet except that the session is encrypted for an extra
layer of safety. Telnet sessions are trivial to snoop in on.

You could use any other editor as well. Many others like "joe" are very
popular. vi's advantage (over being a very powerful tool) is that it's
on almost every *nix system made.

John Straiton
jks@clickcom.com
Clickcom, Inc