Date:      Mon, 2 Mar 1998 09:47:14 +0100
From:      Philippe Regnauld <regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports for X11 stuff

Jordan K. Hubbard writes:

> Actually, this would be far from consistent - it would confuse the
> piss out of folks who've become more than used to /usr/X11R6 as the
> location for X libraries and binaries over the last 3 years.  Changing
> it at this juncture would only be a recipe for complete and utter
> chaos.

	Agreed.  Just a comment:  /usr/X11R6 is a growing beastie.  All X related
	things (app-defaults, libs, binaries, headers) get installed in it.
	Consequence: /usr/X11R6 easily grows above 100 Mbytes, and this is
	incompatible with the notion of a static, ro /usr.

	It's a problem during installation if you're going to unpack X:

	- either you make /usr 200 Mb or so (knowing you'll be doing dump+restore
	sooner than you'd want),

	- or you make it the 90 Mbytes it's happy with, and go to the
	  emergency shell and _remember_ to make /usr/local/X11R6 and
	  symlink.  Am I alone ?

	"Now it'd be nice if"© a simple dialog box popped
	up during sysinstall saying, "hey, you chose to install X, you have
	less than N megabytes for /usr, but you have 3 Terabytes in
	/usr/local: [do you want to | you should ] create /usr/local/X11R6,
	and make a symlink in /usr ?"

	I might (*shudder*) even look at sysinstall's code (*tremble*)
	and see if I can do it myself, if there's interest.

--
 -[ Philippe Regnauld / sysadmin / regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk / +55.4N +11.3E ]-
     «Pluto placed his bad dog at the entrance of Hades to keep the dead