Date:      Wed, 29 Apr 1998 20:45:45 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Steven S <stevensl@mindspring.net>, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Subject:   Re: BT848/fxtv - Questions/Problems/Comments

Steven S:
 |I have the Hauppauge Win/tv/dbx unit. I got the driver, compiled it in to
 |the kernel, got the Fxtv and got it running. When the kernel boots it lists
 |the card as having the PAL tuner when it really is NTSC, is there some
 |change i have to do to the driver to switch it? This may relate to my other
 |problem/question.

Yeah, the newer Hauppauge Win/TV cards have an FR1236MK2 tuner.  The driver
currently mis-detects this as Temic PAL, but it supports the FR1236MK2.
You just need to override the detection.  This can be done by putting:

     options OVERRIDE_TUNER=9

in your kernel config.  To see where this magic "9" comes from, pop up
"sys/pci/brooktree848.c" in your kernel tree, search down for
OVERRIDE_TUNER, and look at the #defines right under it.

 |When i get into X (Xfree as shipped with 2.2.6 (3.3.2??)) fxtv comes up
 |fine, but when i switch to tuner mode, cable mode i get noise, blue screen
 |w/static. Its as if i need to set the specific frequencies in the tuner for
 |each channel but from the documentation it appears the driver does this. Is
 |this correct? or do i have to set the freq's? If i have to set the freq's
 |where is a good list of them to use?

This is due to the driver trying to talk to the tuner as though it is Temic
PAL.  Once you override it, life should be much better.

 |Now my comments... the software rocks but how bout an tuning/setup
 |interface similar to the Hauppauge Win/TV software. Its really cool how it
 |autoscans for channels on setup and then the small little control pad for
 |changing channels is really nice.

Sounds like a nice idea.  To the former piece, I'm not sure the driver yet
supports channel detection.  But sounds like a good idea IMO when one of
the driver gurus gets time.  Given this, we could start out with just
auto-configing channel number lists for probed stations.  However, the
PAL/Europe folks will then soon want to grab channel names out of the
Teletext (they could care less about the arbitrary channel numbers the
driver uses), so that would be a good phase 2.

To the latter piece, a schnazy channel selection GUI's just one of things
on my candidate to-do list that I haven't gotten to.  It's been kinda low
priority since most folks setup their channel lists once, and then these
stay fairly static per person (not too many folks have bt848 cards in their
vans or roving laptops :-)  But yes, this is another good idea.

If you know some X and want to take a crack, by all means please jump right
in.  I and others on the list can help you nail down the some basic
requirements that'll cover the various tuner modes, input formats, and
frequency sets.  Let me know how I can help.

Thanks for the feedback, and let us know how it goes!

Randall