Date:      Sun, 3 Jan 1999 13:32:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug Jolley <doug@footech.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        jnorman@pensions.com
Subject:   Setting up DNS

I have a FreeBSD server on a network whose only connection to
the Internet is that it is connected by UUCP to a smart host
mail relay.  I want to setup DNS on the server to provide
DNS to the workstations on the network.  I have sweaty palms and
two questions:

    1.  In this configuration, do I need to have a file to
        handle root cache data; and, if so, what goes in it?
    2.  I want all mail addressed to other domains to be
        forwarded (via UUCP) to the smart host.  Do I accomplish
        that by attempting to use some sort of wildcard technique
        on an MX record; or, do I just continue to use the smart
        host feature of sendmail as I am presently doing?

Thanks for any input.

     ... doug