Date:      Thu, 15 Oct 1998 00:45:36 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@gorean.org>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   cvs diff question

	I'm a little confused by something that is happening when I try using
cvs diff on my checked out tree. I have checked out the sources for
-Stable using 'cvs co -rRELENG_2_2 src'. All of the "normal" stuff
works, the RELENG_2_2 tag gets recorded in each directory, etc.

	According to my understanding of the cvs man page, I ought to be able
to do 'cvs diff -rHEAD' in a given directory and have it show me the
differences between the -Stable and -Current branches. However, it
produces no output at all except, "cvs diff: Diffing ."  In some
directories, if I do 'cvs diff -r RELENG_2_2 -r HEAD' I get the desired
output, but if I go to some directories (like src/usr.bin/w) even that
produces no output, however, if I check the log and diff the version I
have checked out against the head of the branch file by file, I see
actual differences. Also, if I make changes in the files in one
directory and run 'cvs diff' I see the changes against the version I
have checked out.

	So the question is, am I misunderstanding the syntax of the command, or
otherwise doing something odd or wrong? I feel like I have a pretty good
grip on cvs, and the fact that some things work in some directories but
not others lead me to believe that there might be something odd
happening, but I'm not sure what.

Any help appreciated,

Doug
--
***           Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network          ***

    Go PADRES!