Date:      Thu, 25 Nov 1999 14:18:42 -0500
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@mojave.sitaranetworks.com>
To:        brooks@one-eyed-alien.net, james.wilde@telia.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Programmers' editor?

On Wednesday, 24 November 1999 at 16:27:53 -0500, Andrew G. Luyt wrote:
> Thus spake Greg Lehey (grog@mojave.sitaranetworks.com):
>
>> OK, I've said my piece here, and I disagree entirely.  But it's not up
>> to me; I've been using Emacs and similar editors for 20 years.  The
>> real question is: what do newbies think?  Anybody want to comment?
>
> Well, speaking as a FreeBSD newbie, and partial Linux convert,
> I guess I can comment.  Up until recently I have used vi (vim
> to be precise) for all my editing tasks.  I started learning emacs
> a couple of weeks ago, and it has now become my main editor for
> coding purposes.  The first thing I did however, was to remap
> my capslock key to act as ctrl. ;)

Yes, you definitely ned to do that.

> I've found out that overall, my productivity has gone up with emacs,
> though there are special circumstances where I say to myself 'grrr,
> I wish I were using vi'.  I have yet to figure out how to repeat my
> last command in emacs, a la '.' in vi, for instance.

m-p (that's the Meta key, usually mapped to Alt).  This will give you
the previous non-trivial command in the minibuffer.  Repeated m-p will
go further back in the command history, m-n will go forward.  You can
edit the command before reissuing it.

> I still use vi for quickie jobs like editing config files, as I find
> it's more convenient to just type vi in the xterm I'm already in, as
> opposed to switching desktops to the copy of emacs I keep running at
> all times.

You really need to be running X.  Otherwise I tend to agree.

Greg