Date:      Mon, 2 Sep 1996 02:04:30 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Dave Andersen <angio@aros.net>
To:        tcg@ime.net
Cc:        angio@aros.net, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with file system

Lo and behold, Gary Chrysler once said:

> > In brief:  newfs -i XXXX <filesystem>
> >
> > where XXXX should probably be 1024.  The default is 2048, which obviously
> > isn't enough in your case.
> >

> Am I missing something here or is this a typo.. :)
>
> 'should be 1024, The default is 2048', Hmm. Kinda looks bassackwards
> to me. If 2048 is the default and is not enough then 1024 would
> make it worse right??
>
> Just asking, I don't know myself, Maybe I'm wrong.

   It's in TFM. :)

   -i  number of byte per inode

   So the larger the number, the MORE bytes per inode.  You want to
tell it to create one inode for every 1k of disk space instead of every
2k of disk space (the default), because the average news article is less
than 1k, so you run out.  That way, you get tons of inodes at the expense
of some drive space.

   Of course, if you have a separate partition for binaries (which either
you do, or you're not carrying binaries) you can do the reverse:  -i 4096
or something similar, because the average alt.binaries file is
considerably larger than 4k.

   Dave Andersen

--
angio@aros.net                Complete virtual hosting and business-oriented
system administration         Internet services.  (WWW, FTP, email)