Date:      Wed, 09 Dec 1998 22:23:39 -0500
From:      "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To:        "Lanny Baron" <lnb@cybertouch.org>, "questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: upgrading to 3.0

On Wed, 9 Dec 1998 22:06:15 -0500 (EST), Lanny Baron wrote:

>Hello, I have a fully working 2.2.7. With websites and a ton of other
>fully working things. Which I don't want to loose. I am wondering if any
>of you on the list can tell me how to safely upgrade to 3.0. I have the
>cdrom's but just am afraid to mess up what has taken quite a bit to build
>up not to mention help from some well known people in the FreeBSD
>community.

With the price of IDE drives so incredibly low, I would recommend that
you buy one to install 3.0 on.  I'd electrically disconnect your
current drive, put in the new drive and install 3.0.  Then I'd migrate
my configuration over. I'd continue to run off the new disk until I was
comfortable.

But then, I'm really cautious...

Unix systems measure "uptime" in years, Winblows measures it in minutes.